Friday, January 10, 2020

Pouring One Out for Bruisin' Ales


Merriam-Webster defines libation as an act of pouring liquid as a sacrifice (as to a deity). This was the precursor to our more modern take of pouring a little liquid gold (or a forty-ounce) onto the ground in honor of things we have lost. Well, I am about to empty the refrigerator. After 13 years, Bruisin' Ales has announced that they will be closing their beer store downtown.

Things were much different in Asheville 13 years ago. My predecessor for this blog, Mark, had just started the Asheville Beer Blog. It had only been a year since North Carolina "Popped the Cap" eliminating it's archaic 6% ABV law. Locally, I was getting beer at the Weinhaus downtown, or Greenlife, but really I had to drive out of state to find any real selection of beer, especially for my precious Belgians. I distinctly remember daydreaming about opening a beer store myself. Then one day I discovered I didn't have too. After hearing about the store opening on this very blog, I finally got around to going inside to see what all the fuss was about.


And there it was. The wall. As a lover of Belgian beer, I was in heaven. La Chouffe? Saison Dupont? St. Bernadus? Orval? Westmalle? The occasional Fantome? And sometimes the rare Cantillon? Yep, you could find it here. It was Disneyland for a Belgian beer lover like me. But there was more. Bruisin' Ales immediately integrated themselves with the local beer culture. They were the first to feature tastings of local and regional beers. They were the first to host beer dinners. They were instrumental in fertilizing the nascent beer scene in Asheville. There wouldn't have been an Asheville Beer Week without the hard work that Jason and Julie Atallah did to push the idea that we were a national beer destination. But there was more.

I was just a guy who loved beer, and thought enough of the Asheville beer scene that I felt compelled to write about what was going on here. Jason and Julie supported my interest, and opened up a number of great experiences that I will always cherish. Many a beer celebrity came to Asheville for tastings and other events, and Brusin' Ales was a huge part of that. I have had so many great beer moments, some awesome food and beer dinners, and rubbed elbows with brewers from across the U.S. and the world, including having a late night beer with Sam Calagione of Dogfish fame. And this was all due to the hard work and dedication of the folks at Bruisin'.

But the most important part of Bruisin' Ales legacy to me is the friendships that I have made. Jason and Julie are great people, and I am proud to call them my friends. Through Bruisin' Ales, I have also established many friendships in Asheville and beyond, and I will cherish that forever.

Going back to our definition of libation, I am definitely going to pour a little out. I'm not much on deities, but Bruisin' Ales is on the short list of the most important things to ever happen to Asheville beer. I want to thank Bruisin' Ales for their contribution to Beer City. Without them, I don't think that Asheville would be the beer destination that it is today.


No comments:

Post a Comment