I attended the Classic City Brew Fest in Athens, Georgia on April 1. It was a great time and I was able to sample some new beers I hadn't had the opportunity to try before now. If you have the chance to hit this event next year, go! It's just three hours away, and the new four-lane highway between I-85 at Commerce and Athens is now open, except for a short stretch that looks to be about finished.
There's a lot of rumor on the Asheville scene about new breweries and brewpubs. Here's what I've been busy gathering instead of blogging:
- Carl Melissas, formerly head brewer at Green Man, is reportedly involved in a new brewpub to be located in the Riverlink Arts District. We'll stay alert for more info on this one.
- As previously reported, another brewpub is planned for the old TJ Morrison building on Lexington Ave. The partners are lining up the details and this should be up and running in a year or so.
- A new brewpub is rumored for Haywood Road in West Asheville, across the street from the Westville Pub. We haven't gleaned anything more so far.
- Root Bar #2 is planned for Haywood Road, across from the Ingles.
- An Irish-themed bar is planned for the old Ideal Market on Haywood Road.
If all three West Asheville bars open as rumored, that neighborhood will rival downtown as the place to go for beer.
Last night, I attended the monthly MALT Pint Night at the Mellow Mushroom. They had some excellent beers on tap, including Rye Ale from Terrapin, Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, Great Divide Titan IPA, and another IPA from Avery. The pizza was pretty good too, along with the company. Thanks, Kelly, for pulling this together. I'm already looking forward to next month.