Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Acme Pale Ale

So I stopped by the Ingles on Merrimon yesterday on the way home from work. Deciding to check out the beer section, I scanned the shelves as usual for something I haven't had before. What caught my attention was a leggy blonde cartoon model in the 1940's pinup style, on a six-pack of Acme pale ale. The name Acme signalled "crap" since I remember those old Wile E. Coyote cartoons from my childhood. That name appeared on all the gadgets and explosives Wile E. used to maim himself. Looking closer I saw it came from California's North Coast Brewing so decided to take a chance (plus I never could resist a great pair of legs). The price was a bit high at $8.59 but not unreasonable.

The beer poured nicely with a good head. It had a light golden hue, lighter that some pales but nice. Taking a sip I noticed a clean taste with a hint of malty sweetness and maybe a bit of lemon. The finish was dry with noticeable hoppiness but nothing excessive or lasting. Overall, very much like a British pale.

Hopheads will find it too bland, while Budsuckers might find it a good beer to try as they expand their horizons beyond American pilsners. This would make a fine session beer and also go well with food at a backyard cookout. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment